LIRR talks resume after Congress won't intervene - KMSP-TV

LIRR talks resume after Congress won't intervene

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) - Contract negotiations between the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Long Island Rail Road workers' unions resumed Thursday afternoon after several members of Congress said they would not step in to avert a strike. 

The legislators who met with MTA President Thomas Prendergast on Wednesday said both sides should not count on them to resolve the dispute. 

More than 5,000 workers are threatening to walk off the job on July 20. A shutdown of the train system could affect approximately 300,000 daily riders.

Prendergast had hoped that lawmakers might prevent the railroad's unions from paralyzing the nation's largest regional economy. He also asked for clarification of the role Congress intends to play.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has said he won't intervene in the dispute. In a statement Wednesday, Cuomo said that now that lawmakers have clarified their position, the parties need to make a deal.

"The unions' false belief that Congress would step in to mandate a settlement was a major impediment to any real progress," Cuomo said in the statement. "With this obstacle removed, it is now clear that the only path to resolution is at the bargaining table between the MTA and the unions, and they should proceed in good faith. The LIRR plays a unique role and is vital to Long Island’s economic and social activity. This dispute must be handled amicably."

Negotiations broke down on Tuesday afternoon between the MTA and workers. A coalition of LIRR unions have turned down the most recent deal that would have given them a 17 percent wage hike over seven years with no changes to pensions. That offer was an increase from 11 percent over six years previously presented by the MTA.

Workers have been without a contract since 2010.

The MTA has outlined a contingency plan in the event a deal cannot be reached by the strike deadline. It is asking riders to do the following:

  • Work from home
  • Stagger your shift
  • Stay with a friend or relative in NYC
  • Plan a vacation
  • Carpool
The MTA said it may provide shuttle buses from 30 communities that would take riders to the subway.

  • Long Island NewsLong Island NewsMore>>

  • Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-07-29 18:54:40 GMT
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices