Coroner's Office: Ohio Teen Died From Lethal Dose Of Caffeine Po - KMSP-TV

Coroner's Office: Ohio Teen Died From Lethal Dose Of Caffeine Powder

Posted: Updated:
LAGRANGE, Ohio -- An Ohio coroner's office reported that the death of a high school prom king in May was caused by a lethal dose of caffeine powder.

18-year-old Logan Steiner died suddenly right before his graduation. He was an outstanding student.

"He was just a terrific kid, he was a role model for the Special Olympic athletes, they loved having him there,” said Superintendent Jay Arbaugh.

Autopsy results didn't reveal anything, but additional blood tests showed he had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine in his body.

The popular kid had mixed caffeine powder with a drink and his body couldn't handle it.

Caffeine powder is illegal in Ohio.

State Senator Gayle Manning said in a statement that she is talking to officials to see if any further steps would be beneficial.

Just one teaspoon of the powder alone mixed with water is equal to 30 cups of coffee.

"This is news to the coroner's office; we had never seen this before,” said Lorain County Coroner Stephen Evans, MD. "What it does is, it leads to cardiac arrhythmias, speeding heart and it leads into seizures and those two things are what took his life."

Evans says it’s a dangerous situation, which needs to be regulated more closely. He also said that it’s the number one stimulant drug in the United States and it can be abused just like any other drug.

"We found out this was being sold in bulk form, in a powder form, and it was being used by young people, especially students, especially athletes and it was just to give them an edge because most of them like all of us thought it was innocuous you know, it can't hurt you,” said Evans.

Companies claim that the powder increases focus, endurance and elevates moods.

It’s unclear why Steiner took the powder.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • What's HotMore>>

  • On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-25 02:31:18 GMT
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
  • Plano dad’s invention fills and ties water balloons in seconds

    Plano dad’s invention fills and ties water balloons in seconds

    Thursday, July 24 2014 4:16 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:16:28 GMT
    One creative dad has come up with a quick and easy solution for a North Texas summer staple – the water balloon fight.
    One creative dad has come up with a quick and easy solution for a North Texas summer staple – the water balloon fight.
  • Fifty Shades of Grey trailer is finally out

    Fifty Shades of Grey trailer is finally out

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:53 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:53:18 GMT
    Finally, it's our first look at the movie version of the best-selling erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
    Finally, it's our first look at the movie version of the best-selling erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices