Gas Can Explodes By Firepit, Severely Burns 2 Children - KMSP-TV

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Gas Can Explodes By Firepit, Severely Burns 2 Children

Posted: Updated:

COEUR D'ALENE, ID- Two young Idaho children are at a Seattle hospital after both suffered major burns on Saturday.

An eight-year-old boy and a four-year-old girl were both near a backyard fire pit when a gas can exploded.

Police say the explosion happened, when a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire.

The can caught fire and he threw it behind him and that's when it blew up and burned the two children.

The mother of the boy says he is incubated and medical officials are afraid of his throat swelling shut.

The boy has 1st and 2nd-degree burns on 21% of his body, mostly his legs and arms.

The girl has been walking and will find out on Tuesday if she needs surgery.

She has burns on 9% of her body.

"It was like a delayed reaction. There was no flame or nothing. Next thing you know the whole area was just in flames, it's just one of those things that you kinda unpredictable. I'm thankful that she's going to make a good recovery. Obviously I wish I could have reacted faster to prevent more damage but I'm glad I was able to react to the situation and not just stand there panic," said the girl's father, Tyler White.

Authorities say no charges have been filed yet but the Kootenai county prosecutors are looking into it.

COEUR D'ALENE, ID- Two young Idaho children are at a Seattle hospital after both suffered major burns on Saturday.

An eight-year-old boy and a four-year-old girl were both near a backyard fire pit when a gas can exploded.

Police say the explosion happened, when a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire.

The can caught fire and he threw it behind him and that's when it blew up and burned the two children.

The mother of the boy says he is incubated and medical officials are afraid of his throat swelling shut.

The boy has 1st and 2nd-degree burns on 21% of his body, mostly his legs and arms.

The girl has been walking and will find out on Tuesday if she needs surgery.

She has burns on 9% of her body.

"It was like a delayed reaction. There was no flame or nothing. Next thing you know the whole area was just in flames, it's just one of those things that you kinda unpredictable. I'm thankful that she's going to make a good recovery. Obviously I wish I could have reacted faster to prevent more damage but I'm glad I was able to react to the situation and not just stand there panic," said the girl's father, Tyler White.

Authorities say no charges have been filed yet but the Kootenai county prosecutors are looking into it.

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices