Neighbor Comes To The Rescue Of Cardiac Arrest Victim - KMSP-TV

Bookmark and Share

Neighbor Comes To The Rescue Of Cardiac Arrest Victim

Posted: Updated:
MARLTON, N.J. -

Sometimes the people living next to you, can end up being more than just neighbors.

That was the case in Marlton this past weekend, when a college student across the street saved another man's life.

First responders say the victim would not be alive today if not for the awareness and quick actions of his neighbor.

The victim's family has asked for privacy, but do say they want their neighbor's heroism to be recognized.

"He's lying in the shade, I thought he was taking a break. It was kind of hot outside,” Jarad Barag said.

Barag thought it was a bit odd his neighbor stopped mowing his lawn last Sunday morning.

So the Drexel student took a break from washing his car, and walked across the street to check him out.

"I go to tap on him and all I see is his eyes are wide open, blood shot and he wasn't breathing,” he said.

His neighbor, Dave had gone into cardiac arrest and collapsed near the fence in the front yard.

"Reaction just kicked in and I knew I had to call 911. I knew what my job was. I knew I had to do CPR. I knew I had to do mouth to mouth and everything like that. I wasn't even thinking, it was just all reaction,” Barag said.

Evesham Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Stephen Addezio lives around the corner and was the initial first responder to join Barag's life saving effort.

"Jared is a hero in the neighborhood, a hero in the community. Everybody in the neighborhood is very happy that Jared was home, willing to get involved and in this case made a difference,” Addezio said.

We're told Dave's wife was at church that morning, so Barag spotting his neighbor's bright orange shirt in the grass was likely the difference between life and death.

"I don't know what I would have done in that situation to tell you the truth. I hope I would have done the same thing, but I don't know, I don't know if I would have froze or whatever, so I'm grateful for what he did,” neighbor Dennis Higman said.

Barag hasn't spoken to his neighbor since, but plans on seeing him soon.

"I'll just go up there and hug him and just thank the lord that he was stubborn and fought through everything. Even though we weren't too sure what the outcome was going to be,” he said.

The victim remained hospitalized Friday and was doing better, but his family concedes it could be a long road ahead.

There is talk about formally honoring all of the heroes that saved his life at the next council meeting in July.

• Drew Dickman ReportsMore>>

Philly Fans Turn Out To Watch World Cup Final

Sunday, July 13 2014 6:34 PM EDT2014-07-13 22:34:13 GMT

FOX 29's Drew Dickman reports live in Northern Liberty at the Piazza with the impact of the World Cup on local soccer.

Bucks County Repair Men Facing Dozens Of Fraud And Theft Related Charges

Friday, July 11 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-12 03:06:17 GMT
    A Bucks County father and son are accused of using their construction business to swindle more than $700,000 from several homeowners and businesses.

3-Year-Old Struck By Alleged Drunk Driver In North Philadelphia

Thursday, July 10 2014 10:05 PM EDT2014-07-11 02:05:38 GMT
    One man is under arrest and a small child was rushed to the hospital after police say a drunk driver ran over a boy playing outside in North Philadelphia.

• Local NewsMore>>

VIDEO: Children Wed Parents During Self-Uniting Ceremony

Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:42 PM EDT2014-07-22 23:42:16 GMT
    Paul Resnik and Anne Marie Coughlin were married by their children at their home.

Gaggle Of Geese Making A Mess Of Emmaus Park

Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:57:03 GMT
    They may be Canada's least popular export: geese, or more exactly, goose droppings.

Ya Gotta Try This Tasting

Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:34 PM EDT2014-07-22 22:34:59 GMT
    Join FOX 29's Mike Jerrick and the Good Day Philadelphia team for a tasty night of yummy treats benefiting local youth.You've all seen Mike's weekly "Ya Gotta Try This" segments on Good Day Philadelphia, where he visits local restaurants and eating establishments to try their signature, and sometimes, unusual, dishes. Now you have the chance to do the same at the "Ya Gotta Try This" Tasting, Thursday, October 2nd, 6:30 to 9:30, at the Independence Visitor Center, One North Independence Mall W...
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices