SWAT Team Responds To Man Barricaded In Building - KMSP-TV

SWAT Team Responds To Man Barricaded In Building

Posted: Updated:
Reseda, CA - From Hal Eisner:

As they packed up their command post LAPD Sgt. Barry Montgomery said it's over and "we have a dangerous, distraught, armed individual who was taken into custody safely by the Los Angeles Police Department SWAT team."

But, it took over seven hours to do it. Captain Charles Phillip Hearn says "with cases like this we try to slow everything down."That, he says, helps negotiators try to resolve tense barricade situations. But, there were some scary moments. One, in particular, was when police lobbed tear gas at him. He lobbed it right back.

Hearn says the suspect became upset over some relationship issue and went to the Disabled American Veterans Hall with the intent of hurting himself. But, in the end the former U.S. serviceman surrendered. Repeatedly the question came up during the day about whether the suspect was a 'veteran.' Captain Hearn said not technically. Hearn said, "he may have served about 6 months which according to rules is enough to make him a veteran."

The suspect is now in custody after he surrendered. He faces assault with a deadly weapon charge.

(FOX 11 / CNS) A Los Angeles Police Department SWAT team was sent today to a site where a person wanted for assault was believed barricaded in a building.

Officers were sent to Corbin Avenue north of Victory Boulevard about 7:30 a.m., said Richard French of the Los Angeles Police Department. The person being sought, who is described only as a male, may be armed, French said.

The LAPD's Valley Bureau has been placed on a Tactical Alert as a precaution, meaning that officers can be kept working beyond the end of their shifts.

The building is in Reseda just east of Winnetka.

From Gigi Graciette:

"I'm a good veteran."

That is reportedly what the man barricaded inside the Disabled American Veteran's Hall said to police earlier.

"I'm a good veteran", he said but then in the same breath made it perfectly clear to police that he had no intention of coming out peacefully.

And oh, he also told them in case they didn't remember, that this wasn't his first standoff with SWAT. He'd done this before, he readily admitted, and knew the drill.


Five hours into this, as I write this from a block away, he's still in there refusing to come out, all awhile inviting police to come in and "bring it".

The situation started around 7:30 this morning when an employee of the hall told police he was confronted by the suspect who was armed with a shotgun.

The employee was able to wrestle the gun away, then get away and the standoff was on.

The suspect hasn't asked for anything but is obviously distraught. The LAPD tells us he's a man in his early 50's who at one time served in the Army but reportedly was dishonorably discharged.

He's also told police he has a criminal record; at least two strikes and doesn't want to go back.

One of them, we imagine, is that similar SWAT standoff ten years ago, which happened not too far from here and where he reportedly did fire at police before being arrested.

As we enter hour six of the standoff, all I can think about is the fact that this man has a family, as in at least one child.

And while he may think he's a "good veteran", I hope he'll think about being a good father and walk out; hands up, guns down.

Or is it too late for that?

Powered by WorldNow

11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices