Petition opposes Newark archbishop's retirement home renovations - KMSP-TV

Petition opposes Newark archbishop's retirement home renovations

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

The residence of John Myers, the archbishop of Newark, is at the rectory of the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J. It houses four other priests. But in 2002, the archdiocese bought him a 4,500-square-foot weekend home in Hunterdon County.

Now the archbishop wants to deck it out with some costly renovations. Some parishioners say it goes completely against Pope Francis's example of leading a simple life.

"What can I say about priests? I don't believe in them anymore," said Antonio Ramos, a parishioner who attends mass at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart. He said he is disappointed and frustrated.

The archbishop is putting about $500,000 of archdiocese money into renovations at his Franklin Township home, where he plans to retire in two years. Myers is adding a 3,000-square-foot addition, complete with an indoor pool, hot tub, and elevator.

Faithful America, a national Christian group that is known to have a left-leaning political agenda, collected more than 22,000 signatures for an online petition urging Myers to sell the house. Many of their other current petition campaigns include gay rights and a call for Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York to resign.

A spokesperson for the archdiocese insisted the renovations are not being paid for by parishioners.

"The planned construction is being paid for by donations from individuals specifically given for this purpose and the sale of a residential property that the Archdiocese owns but no longer needs," the spokesman said in a statement.

Some feel the money should be used to help the community.

"They should pay housing for the poor not for the priest," Ramos said.

The archdiocese spokesperson said the archdiocese has seen the petition and there are no plans to make any changes to construction.

The Vatican has not issued a position on the matter.

The archbishop is conducting Holy Week activities through Sunday before leaving for Rome next Tuesday.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices