At most museums across the country, only a small fraction of the building's collection is on display. Chicago's Field Museum is no exception.
Most of what's housed inside is never seen by the public. So FOX 32 News sent Good Day Chicago's Jake Hamilton to the building on the lake to explore all it has to offer.
Welcome. Come on in. Take a look around. The Field Museum is a legendary Chicago staple of education. It's an enlightening world of life and adventure.
But of all of their incredible exhibits, less than 1 percent of their possessions are actually on display. That's because below this world, there is another. Two stories underground, through an industrial elevator and down a long hallway lies the rest of it. Welcome to the other 99 percent.
The Collections Resource Center of the Field Museum – or the CRC – is far too impressive to just be labeled "the basement." It's one of the top five natural history museum collections in the world. Divided into factions from anthropology to zoology, it serves as a priceless research tool for scientists around the globe.
CRC mammal preparations lab manager Anna Goldman took FOX 32 on an incredible, and sometimes graphic, tour of the mammal portion of this underground kingdom.
From chipmunks from 1901 to elephants from 1923, this library of the animal kingdom is used to judge where we've been as a society, and more importantly, where we're going. While the rest of us only see that 1 percent on the museum floor, the real treasures lie below.
We were always told not to judge a book by its cover, and that there is always more than meets the eye. At the Field Museum, that's true. Below the ground lies another world. Some would argue it's a better world. Take a look around. Come on in. Welcome.