Mich. boy who thought he had no friends signs with hockey team - KMSP-TV

Mich. boy who thought he had no friends signs with pro hockey team

Posted: Updated:
Photo from Facebook Photo from Facebook
Photo from Facebook Photo from Facebook

KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- A Michigan boy who said he didn't want an 11th birthday party because he had no friends is getting a new gig.

Professional hockey player.

Colin and his family were surprised by players, coaches and representatives of the Kalamazoo Wings at Jaspare's Pizza Tuesday. The team presented the Richland boy with a one-day contract that will allow him to join the Wings for their home game Sunday.

"I was not expecting this," Colin told the Kalamazoo Gazette after arriving at the restaurant. "I knew we were going to the restaurant, but I was not expecting the rest."

Colin has a condition similar to Asperger's syndrome that makes it difficult to relate to peers. His mother created a "Happy Birthday Colin" Facebook page that drew more than 2 million "likes." He also received thousands of cards.

The family asked that their last name not be used.  

Colin tells the Kalamazoo Gazette that the outpouring of affection has "been very heartwarming."

Copyright 2014 by myFOXDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights re served. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:01 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:01:01 GMT
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
    As of 9 p.m., DTE Energy has restored power to 171,000 of the customers impacted by the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. Approximately 15,000 customers remain without power.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • What's HotMore>>

  • New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

    New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:03:18 GMT
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.
  • The new way to capture your proposal on video

    The new way to capture your proposal on video

    Friday, July 25 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-07-25 23:35:24 GMT
    It looks like an ordinary ring box, but it's designed with a hidden camera to capture your special moment.
    It looks like an ordinary ring box, but it's designed with a hidden camera to capture your special moment.
  • On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-25 02:31:18 GMT
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices