Rep. Keith Ellison's "Pride of the 5th"hotdish recipe can be found in full here.
- 1 pound of raw chicken breast-cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup your favorite salsa
- ½ red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1-1.5 cups of Monterey jack cheese
Cover top with slightly crushed blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 skillets or pans
- 1 greased 9x13 dish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook 1.5 cups of uncooked rice according to package directions. Add cooked rice to warm pan and add taco seasoning. After rice and seasoning are incorporated, add salsa. This should be done on medium to low.
3. Add ¼ cup of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil to Ziplock bag. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes to bag. Cut raw chicken into bite sized pieces then add to bag with seasonings and olive oil. Close bag and allow chicken to marinate for 10 min. Open bag and place contents into hot skillet. Remove chicken once cooked and let rest.
4. Slice and dice onion, peppers and jalapeno. Add onions to pan that contained chicken and saute until soft. Then add peppers and jalapeno. When vegetables are warm, add the chicken back in to the pan.
5. Pour the rice into the bottom of the 9X13 dish and spread evenly on the bottom. Then add the chicken and peppers evenly on top of the rice. Sprinkle cheese on top of dish and place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove hotdish from oven and gently crumble blue corn tortilla chips on top of the dish.