The full recipe for Sen. Al Franken's "Grandma Phoebe's Sunday Supper" hotdish recipe can be found here.
- 2 lbs. fresh ground pork sausage (can use your favorite individual pork sausages)
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 6 to 8 cups mashed potatoes prepared with milk and butter (fresh, left-over, or instant)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Pour off 3/4 of the brine from the sauerkraut. Place remaining mixture in a pot. Add tomato juice, apple chunks, and caraway seeds. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to Med-Hi and partially reduce liquid. Then, set aside.
3. Slice or crumble pork sausage. Set aside.
4. Prepare 6 to 8 cups mashed potatoes with butter and milk. Can use leftovers or instant. Set aside.
5. Assemble hot dish by evenly spreading sauerkraut on bottom, followed by mashed potatoes. Top with sausage slices or crumbles.
6. Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, until sausage is cooked and dish is heated all the way through.
7. Serve with your favorite rolls, a simple salad, and corn. Makes 6 to 8 servings.