Troy Lewis said only two of the electric baseboard heaters in the Colfax Avenue duplex he rented worked. That's why the single father kept the stove lit and a space heater running at night to keep his 7 children warm.
The initial investigation points to the unattended space heater as the likely cause of the fire that claimed the lives of 5 of Lewis' children. Lewis told investigators the space heater on the second floor, where the fire began, had been "running for several days."
"I tried my best to save my children," he said at a Wednesday afternoon press conference.
By the time firefighters arrived, it was too late to save the 5 children. SURVIVING GIRLS
Electra Lewis, 5, and Shaca Lewis, 9, are still recovering at Hennepin County Medical Center -- Electra in satisfactory condition and Shaca still listed in critical condition. Troy Lewis shared this photo of the girls, taken at the hospital on Tuesday.