The Minnesota Department of Public Safety's Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management urges all drivers to assemble a winter weather emergency kit for their car in case they become stranded.
CHECKLIST: WINTER WEATHER EMERGENCY CAR KIT
- Coffee can and small candles and matches to use to melt snow for drinking water.
- Brightly colored bandana or cloth to hang from the vehicle window to signal help is needed.
- Large plastic garbage bags to tie around feet to keep them warm.
- Safety pins to secure the garbage bags.
- Whistle to alert authorities.
- Cell phone adapter to plug into lighter.
- Plastic flashlight and spare batteries.
- Extra hats, mittens, boots and blankets.
STRANDED: 40 HOURS AT -40
Few things feel lonelier and scarier than being trapped on the side of the road, especially in the dead of winter. That's why you're told so many times to be prepared. The Fox 9 Investigators show you exactly why you shouldn't ignore those warnings. WATCH STORY