Golden Leek and Potato Soup
1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
2 medium leeks, sliced
4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups cubed peeled yellow potatoes (1/2 inch cubes)
3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1/2 inch cubes)
12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
½ tsp pepper
½ cup finely shredded low fat Swiss cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over a medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the leeks for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the broth, potatoes, and squash. Increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
2. In a food processor or blender (vent the blender lid), process the soup in batches until smooth. Carefully return the soup to the pot. Stir in the evaporated milk and pepper.
3. If needed, warm the soup over medium-low heat until heated through. Don't let it boil. Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Swiss cheese and chives.
Cooks tip: To avoid having the steam and pressure from the hot soup, pop the top off the blender don't fill it more than halfway. Start blending on the lowest speed and gradually increase the speed until the soup is smooth.
Chipotle Tomato Soup
2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
2 cups water
4 ounces diced pimiemto, drained
1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce)
2 packets (2 teaspoons) salt-free instant vegetable boullion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 medium lime, cut into 4 wedges
1. In a large saucepan, stir together the tomatoes, water, pimiento, chipotle-pepper, adobo sauce and boullion. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are very tender stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
2. Stir in the cilantro, oil and salt. Serve with the lime wedges.