TUSCAN WHITE BEAN + ROASTED GARLIC SPREAD
with pita wedges and pepper strips
from "The Go Red for Women Cookbook"
- 1 large garlic bulb, unpeeled
- 2 6- in. whole grain pita pockets, separated into top and bottom rounds
- Cooking spray
- 1 15.5 oz can no-salt-added cannellini or navy beans (rinsed and drained, liquid reserved)
- 1 T olive oil and 1 t olive oil, divided
- 3/4 t to 1 t minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 t salt
- Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Put the garlic bulb on a square of aluminum foil to loosely enclose the garlic. Pull the edges of the foil to the center. Fold together to seal tightly.
3. Roast the garlic for 40 minutes, or until the garlic cloves are soft and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes, or until easy to handle.
4. Separate the garlic into cloves. Squeeze the cloves into a medium bowl, discarding the skins. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic.
5. Increase the oven temp to 400. Lightly spray the top of each pita round with cooking spray. Stack half the pita rounds on a work surface and cut the stack into eighths. Repeat. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the pita wedges cool completely, about 20 minutes.
7. Stir the beans, 1 tablespoon oil, the rosemary, salt and pepper into the garlic. Using the back of a spoon or fork, mash the beans, leaving some whole. The mixture should be slightly thick and creamy with some lumps. Stir in some of the reserved bean liquid if the mixture is too dry.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle the remaining teaspoon of oil over the spread. Serve with pita wedges and strips of red bell pepper.
LOTS OF LAYERS DIP
- 1/3 c chopped avocado
- 1/4 t fresh lime juice
- 1 15.5 oz can pinto beans or black beans
- 2 T canned diced green chiles, drained
- 1/2 t canola or corn oil
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t cider vinegar
- 1/4 c sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 t chili powder
- 3/4 c fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 c shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 3 T sliced black olives, chopped
1. In a small bowl, gently stir together the avocado and lime juice
2. In an 8 inch square glass baking dish, mash the beans until broken into medium-sized chunks. Stir in the chiles, oil and garlic powder. Spread to cover the bottom of the dish.
3. In medium bowl, stir together the tomatoes, cumin and vinegar. Spread over the beans, sprinkle with green onions.
4. In a small nonstick skillet, heat the chili powder over low heat for 5 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
5. Put the sour cream in a small bowl. Stir in the chili powder. Spread over the green onions.
6. Sprinkle with cheddar, then with the olives. Sprinkle the reserved avocado on top.
ORANGE CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
serves 8, 2 lettuce wraps per serving
2 heads iceberg lettuce
1 t grated orange zest
1/4 c fresh orange juice
1/4 c fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 T plain rice vinegar
2 t soy sauce
1 1/2 t cornstarch
1/2 t toasted sesame oil
1 t canola or corn oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 c packaged broccoli slaw or 1 c chopped broccoli florets
1/2 c sliced canned water chestnuts, drained
2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1. Cut each head of lettuce in half vertically. Discard the cores. Carefully remove 4 outside leaves from each half. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, broth, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in the bell pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in the broccoli slaw, water chestnuts and green onions. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender-crisp and the water chestnuts are heated through.
6. Stir in the reserved orange juice mixture. Reduce the heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a serving bowl.
7. Place the bowl of chicken filling in the center of a platter. Arrange the lettuce leaves around the bowl.
PEANUTTY CARAMEL APPLE 'GRAMWICHES'
1/4 c peanut butter
2 T fat-free caramel topping
3 low-fat graham crackers, each broken into 2 squares
1 large apple
1. Stir together the peanut butter and caramel in a small bowl. Spread onto graham crackers
2. Cut the apple into 6 lengthwise slices. Place one slice on each graham cracker square and serve.