Lomi Lomi Salmon
"Lomi Lomi" is a Hawaiian term meaning "to massage". It is very traditional and popular with Japanese people because of the large population of Japanese in Hawaii.
Due to the rather simple ingredients and preparation the most important "ingredient" in the dish is freshness. Lomi Lomi Salmon is always served cold.
(for 5 servings)
• 1/2 pound fresh sashimi grade salmon – small cubes
• Hawaiian or Kosher or Sea salt (to taste) recommended: about 1 tspn
• 2 to 3 Chopped vine ripe tomatoes (cherry tomatoes will work in times of tomato shortage)
• 1/2 Chopped Maui onion (because Maui onions are hard to come by in MN, any sweet onion I.e. Yellow onion would do)
• Origami secret ingredient (could be substituted with a tree nut or seed oil)
• Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
In a large bowl add the cubed salmon, tomatoes, secret ingredient, and onion, and massage well with hands. Add sea salt, to taste and massage well again. Chill just before serving as Lomi Lomi Salmon should always be served cold. Again, freshness is key to making this simple yet delicious recipe.