Girl charged in robbery, assault of Minneapolis mayor candidate - KMSP-TV

Girl, 17, charged in robbery, assault of Minneapolis mayoral candidate

Posted: Updated:

On Monday, prosecutors filed three felony charges against the Minneapolis teenager accused of hitting a former mayoral candidate in the head with a metal baton during an attempted robbery at the Mall of America.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced that prosecutors have filed a petition to try Deea Leshawn Elliott as an adult instead of a juvenile for her role the crime, which occurred the day after Christmas.

Elliott currently faces two charges of first-degree aggravated robbery and a single count of second-degree assault.

Both Elliot and 18-year-old Letaija Shapree Cutler-Cain, of Brooklyn Park, made their first appearances in court at 1:30 p.m. Culter-Cain was charged on Friday with the same crimes; however, due to Freeman's friendship with Mark Andrew and his prior endorsement of the candidate, the cases will be handled by another county attorney's office to avoid a conflict of interest. It has not yet been determined which attorney will oversee the cases.


Much of the details contained in the criminal complaint filed Monday repeat those seen in Friday's filing against Cutler-Cain; however, it did shed additional light on the wounds Andrew suffered during the assault.

Andrew, 63, was inside the Starbucks coffee shop at the Mall of America when a young man walked by his table, grabbed Andrew's iPhone and fled. When Andrew stood to give chase, he was blocked by Cutler-Cain and Elliott, the charges allege.

During the struggle, Cutler-Cain jumped on Andrew's back while Elliott hit him repeatedly with a retractable "asp" style baton that was later found in her purse, according to charging documents.

Bloomington police officers responded to the scene at about 5:35 p.m. and found Andrew was bleeding profusely from a large cut on his head as well as from his mouth. He also had bruises and abrasions on his face from his assailants' fingernails, according to the criminal complaints.

Andrew was hospitalized and treated for the injuries to his head and face. His physician confirmed 9 sutures were needed to close the cut atop Andrew's head.

Witnesses told police the two young women had been sitting at a table with the young man who fled. Both also confirmed to police that they had repeatedly checked the Starbucks to see if it was "sweet," meaning there would be an opportunity to steal from customers.

A mall goer eventually found Andrew's phone in a different area of the shopping center and turned it in.

Powered by WorldNow

11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices