Bacon Squash Pasta
1lb of Bacon, crumbled. Reserve all fat for cooking
1 Leek, cleaned well and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme, chopped
6 Sage leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons of dry white wine
1 heaping tablespoon of Dirty Good Original Seasoning (www.dirtygoodness.com)
1 Tablespoon of Porcini mushrooms, rehydrated (see notes)
1 Tablespoon of Crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 Tablespoon of Shitake mushrooms, chopped
1-2 tablespoons of Porcini reserve liquid
¼ cup Whole Milk
¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
¼ tsp Flour
½ cup of Fontina Cheese, shredded
½ cup of Guyere cheese, shredded
½ cup of Swiss cheese, shredded
½ cup reserved combined cheeses for top
1+ cup of Ditalini pasta, cooked al dente. If you cook it till still firm in bite, still ok.
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 6-8" squash
Notes: Rehydrating Mushrooms: Soak Porcini mushrooms in 1-2 cups of boiling hot water for ten min. Turn heat off and let mushrooms soak, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5-10 minutes. Drain mushrooms (press well) being sure to reserve liquid.
• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
• Macaroni: Cook macaroni in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking, and drain again. Set aside.
• Cook bacon till crispy. Chop all bacon and set aside. Reserve all bacon fat in a separate bowl
• Clean leek well, using only the white portion, and cook in 1.5 T of bacon fat for 6 minutes, add garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 min. Add mushrooms, thyme, sage, Original Seasoning, white wine, porcini reserve liquid and an additional 1-2 tsp of bacon fat. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until liquid reduces to less than a teaspoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
• In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, milk, heavy whipping cream. Softly add all cheese, 4-5+ pieces of crumbled bacon, pasta and the mushroom mixture and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Cut a top out of the squash and remove all seeds and stringy insides that you can. Lightly salt the inside.
• Fill squash about ½" from top and cover with remaining cheese. If you don't have enough mixture, add more pasta to bulk it up.
• Put squash top on and brush outside of it lightly with bacon fat.
• Roast in over for 60-90 minutes at 425 until outside is toasted with a nice brown color. Remove top, add additional crumbled bacon and serve, scooping out the squash flesh with the pasta when serving.