Newtown families ask for privacy during anniversary of massacre - KMSP-TV

Newtown families ask for privacy during anniversary of massacre

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

Little Charlotte Bacon and Jessica Rekos were just two of the 20 young children and six faculty members murdered nearly one year ago, December 14, 2012, at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Five days before the somber anniversary, Charlotte's mom, Joann, is asking the public for just one small thing.

"We act that you consider performing an act of kindness," Joann Bacon said. "We hope some small measure of good may returned to the world."

Overwhelmed by support from around the world, victims' parents gathered earlier to announce they've created a website called mysandyhookfamily.org, a place for all who want to come together.

In honor of those loved ones, Newtown officials have one request for the media on the one year anniversary: stay away so that families can heal without having to see a microphone or camera.

"People are different places in the journey, and our intention is to have something in place that we can be supportive and helpful," said Dr. John Reed, the interim superintendent of schools. "We're in this for the long run."

Newtown officials said still want the media covering the Sandy Hook shootings in the hopes it could prevent another tragic attack. But just not from Newtown itself.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Transgender teen escapes from custody

    Transgender teen escapes from custody

    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
  • Street gangs tone down use of colors, tattoos

    Street gangs tone down use of colors, tattoos

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:19 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:19:09 GMT
    Law enforcement officials from coast to coast say street gangs are shying away from wearing their colors and are covering up or even altering their tattoos to avoid detection by police.  Hartford, Connecticut, Police Sgt. Johnmichael O'Hare says gone are the days when the Bloods wore red from head to toe. All you'll see now, he says, is maybe a red handkerchief sticking out of a back pocket.


    Law enforcement officials from coast to coast say street gangs are shying away from wearing their colors and are covering up or even altering their tattoos to avoid detection by police.  Hartford, Connecticut, Police Sgt. Johnmichael O'Hare says gone are the days when the Bloods wore red from head to toe. All you'll see now, he says, is maybe a red handkerchief sticking out of a back pocket.


  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices