Reading Leslie: What he really means - KMSP-TV

Opinion

Reading Leslie: What he really means

Posted: Updated:

Driving into the ole' FOX 9 this morning, which by the way took a solid two hours from the homestead in Maple Grove, I thought to myself, is there any way to make Leslie Frazier press conferences more exciting.

Then it hit me.

From this point forward, I will break down the Frazier pressers, but add in a little analysis and try to get to the bottom of "what does Leslie mean"? Granted, it is our own thoughts reading into his actual words, but when you are 3-8-1 why not.

What Leslie said:

About Ponder: He still has not passed any of the tests needed to get him on the field this afternoon.

What he really meant:

After perusing hours and hours and hours of film, we think we know who gives us the best chance to win. Matt was brought in as a backup and if we have to start Audie Cole, we know Matt can come in and give our football team a great boost. Josh is the equivalent of a first time dart thrower only more inaccurate.

What Leslie said:

When asked why Cassel over Freeman: Part of it was what he did in the second half against Chicago and also just seeing his comfort level with where we are and having a comfort level with him as well.

What he really meant:

I'm not comfortable with Josh. I learned this after watching much film.

What Leslie said:

On if he is comfortable with Freeman if something happened to Cassel: For sure, I think he'd be a quality guy in that situation. He'd be able to handle it if something happened to Matt.

What he really meant:

After watching film back of the Giants game, I am praying Cassel makes it through unscathed.

What Leslie said:

Erin (Henderson) was moved to middle linebacker not because that's what we wanted to do, but it was the plight we were in.

What he really meant:

We watched a ton of film and decided to give the job to a guy we knew couldn't handle it. We forced him to have to answer questions during training camp about not being able to make the move inside. Thank goodness someone released Audie Cole.

What Leslie said:

Audie Cole will be starter at middle linebacker. Erin Henderson will move back to weak side linebacker and start.

What he really meant:

After watching a ton of film, we found this guy who was released in the middle of the season. Audie Cole has fit right in to our team and deserves a chance to start.

What Leslie said:

On frustration of not getting interceptions from cornerback position: Well, we've been in position and we just haven't come up with turnovers from that position. It's not because we haven't been in position. We just need to get the confidence and wherewithal to make a play on the ball.

What he really meant:

I'd love to have you watch film with me. But if you find yourself in a bakery and don't eat a donut, whose fault is that? I mean you were in the bakery.

What Leslie said:

On Xavier Rhodes improvement: You're seeing some things that you like to see long term.

What he really meant:

Look, we have watched plenty of film. We actually have a cornerback that understands that while it is not okay to make contact with an official, it is okay against an opposing receiver.

What Leslie said:

On Chris Cook fine: He knows he's going to get pretty heavy in the pocket.

What he really meant:

Well, film don't lie. I hope he saved his money wisely. He has more career ejections than interceptions. You can read into that how you'd like.

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to Sunday's postgame press conference.

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices