Family loses everything in Acworth house fire - KMSP-TV

Family loses everything in Acworth house fire

Posted: Updated:
ACWORTH, Ga. -

Members of a local church are helping out a family who lost everything in a house fire in Acworth.

An early morning fire destroyed Corey McCorkle's home. His wife, Latoya, was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Corey and his three young daughters escaped unharmed, but the house is a total loss. That home was not insured.

Cobb County Fire and Emergency Services said that smoke detectors at the home were not working when the fire broke out. The fire's point of origin is believed to be in the fireplace or chimney.

"Lesson learned is make sure you have functioning smoke detectors, which was apparently not the case this house and make sure you have your fireplace inspected and make sure there's not any problems with it," said Lt. Dan Dupree.

Corey McCorkle is an audio man at First United Methodist of Acworth. Members of that church are doing their part to help the family recover from the devastating fire.

"All their furniture, all their clothes, pictures, identifications, cell phone, appliances were all lost," said Senior Pastor James Gwin of First United Methodist of Acworth.

The church is collecting donations for the family. For more information, visit:  www.acworthumc.org

  • More Local NewsMore>>

  • Cedartown senior dies in car wreck

    Cedartown senior dies in car wreck

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:46:13 GMT
    A Cedartown High School senior was killed in a car accident Tuesday morning.
    A Cedartown High School senior was killed in a car accident Tuesday morning.
  • APD supervisor arrested on suspicion of drunk driving

    APD supervisor arrested on suspicion of drunk driving

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:25 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:25:23 GMT
    An Atlanta Police supervisor has been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving.
    An Atlanta Police supervisor has been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving.
  • Worker struck by lightning in Marietta

    Worker struck by lightning in Marietta

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:30 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:30:05 GMT
    The Marietta Fire department confirms a worker was injured Tuesday afternoon when lightning struck his work site.
    The Marietta Fire department confirms a worker was injured Tuesday afternoon when lightning struck his work site.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices