Dog gobbles up $260 in birthday bills; Minn. mom rescues cash - KMSP-TV

Dog gobbles up $260 in birthday bills; Minn. mom rescues cash

Posted: Updated:
Lucky, the canine crook Lucky, the canine crook

Most people have heard -- maybe even used -- the excuse that "the dog ate my homework," but one metro Border Collie with expensive tastes chowed down on a stack of cold hard cash over the weekend.

Sheri Stevens bought Lucky for her son about a decade ago, but she recently had to go to great lengths to ensure the four-legged friend didn't ruin her son's golden birthday.

After this latest incident, Stevens says she's got a new pet name for her pooch.

"I labeled him 'the thief' because he stole everything!" she said. "Now, he's a robber too."

Lucky seems to have some expensive tastes -- and not just for classy kibble.

"Video games, earphones, money -- lots of money," Stevens said. "I had been putting money on the counter for my son for school and he hadn't been getting it, so that was enlightening."

On Sunday, Stevens and her relatives threw a surprise party for her son Jesse's 18th birthday. The next morning, she learned the family dog apparently has a taste for dollars. When she returned from the store to make a special birthday breakfast, she found Lucky had eaten more than $200 worth of 10s and 20s he had left on his end table.

"As a mom, you do what you do," she said. "It just made me so sad to see my son so upset on his birthday."

So, Stevens set out to balance the budget by feeding Lucky hydrogen peroxide on a couple of pieces of bread to encourage him to vomit. Once he did, she put the torn-up bills in a strainer, washed them, and spent the next 5 and a half hours painstakingly piecing them back together. After she was finished, she gave them to Jesse's father, who was able to exchange them at the bank.

"The visual doesn't bother me, but odors do," Stevens said. "It didn't have any odor at all. Had it been the opposite end -- coming out might have been a whole different story."

They say a mother's love knows no bounds, but not many moms would go to such lengths for their child -- and Stevens knows her story will have tongues wagging.

"The story is worth it," she said. "My son will tell this story forever. So will probably a lot of people I know."

In all, Stevens was able to recover $260 -- half of Jesse's birthday haul. For anyone wondering whether she harmed her dog, veterinarians do recommend feeding pets a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to make them throw up if they've swallowed something harmful; however, they do recommend calling them first.

Powered by WorldNow

11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices