Michigan: Detroit schools no longer 'high risk' - KMSP-TV

Michigan: Detroit schools no longer 'high risk'

Posted: Updated:
DPS emergency manager Jack Martin as he makes the announcement on Monday DPS emergency manager Jack Martin as he makes the announcement on Monday

DETROIT (AP) - The state of Michigan is easing some financial oversight of Detroit's public schools.

The district has struggled financially for years but its "high-risk status" has been dropped by the state Education Department. The change announced Monday means Detroit schools no longer have to have the state approve its improvement plan.

The district says it also gets more discretion over spending.

Michigan labeled Detroit schools as high risk after the federal government in 2008 raised questions about $53 million in spending. Those issues have been resolved.

State-appointed emergency manager Jack Martin still will run the district. Michigan says it will continue monitoring the district's financial performance.

Detroit has 49,000 students, a drop of about 2 percent over last year but a smaller decrease than previous years.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:08:59 GMT
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
  • Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:53:37 GMT
    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning.

    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning. Follow live Tweets from the courtroom here. >>
  • Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:55:19 GMT
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices