A passerby saw smoke coming from a house in Independence, Minn. late Tuesday night and stopped to alert four people inside.
Firefighters have not officially identified the cause of the fire, which was reported at about 10 p.m.
Yet, the homeowners told the Delano fire chief they had used their wood-burning stove for the first time this season prior to the fire. Investigators did confirm that the fire appeared to have started in the chimney before spreading to the roof.
Firefighters said flames were 10 to 14 feet high on the roof as they pulled up to the scene. The fire was contained to the roof, but the second floor has significant water and smoke damage.
The Maple Plain, Watertown, Montrose, and Victoria fire departments assisted Delano.