No bond for man charged with shooting 6-year-old boy - KMSP-TV

No bond for man charged with shooting 6-year-old boy

Posted: Updated:
Cesar Delvalle (Chicago Police) Cesar Delvalle (Chicago Police)
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A man accused of attempted murder for the shooting of a 6-year-old boy following an argument Wednesday evening in the Gage Park neighborhood was denied bond Saturday.

Cesar Delvalle, 23, was charged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder for the shooting near 56th and Mozart streets, police News Affairs said.

A boy was shot in the shoulder while inside a vehicle there about 5:40 p.m., Chicago Police said following the attack.

A man in the car later told authorities he had argued with two people on the street who threw bottles at his car, police said. As he was driving away, he heard gunfire.

A short time later, he realized the boy in his car had been shot, police said.

The child was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, police said.

Delvalle, of the 600 block of West 49th Street, was also charged with aggravated battery involving the discharge of a firearm, and discharging a firearm into an auto, police said.

He is being held without bond in the Cook County Jail, according to the sheriff's office.

A second person of interest is being questioned about the shooting, police said.

Steven Hernandez was inside his home when he heard five shots and ran outside. He saw a gray car with a bullet-ridden back-seat window speed off.

He said the block is no stranger to gunshots.

"I don't feel safe with the gangs over here. This is [Latin] Kings area," said Hernandez, 24.

Hernandez said a house across from him has been the target of several shootings.

"You can examine that house. There's bullets all over it. Through the windows bullet holes and by the gutters," Hernandez said.

Last summer, someone fired shots on the same block while Hernandez and his family were enjoying an outdoor barbecue.

"My newborn niece was in a stroller, our whole family is out here," Hernandez said. "You got shots fired and you have a little baby in a stroller. It's ridiculous."

His uncle, Cesar Sanchez, said he's upset about the shooting but is used to commotion on the block where he has lived for years.

"It's not right. That shouldn't happen. There's no reason for that to happen," Sanchez said. "We've got idiots that live in the area and that's a part of life."

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices