1. Salt and pepper the oxtail and sear in an oven safe pan.
2. When all the meat is caramelized add the carrots, celery and onion, red wine and stock just to cover.
3. Place a piece of parchment paper over the meat and braise in a 325° oven until tender two and a half to three hours.
4. Cool to room temperature, strain the braising liquid and pick the meat off the bones. Discard the bones and reserve the meat and liquid.
1. Heat the milk and water until simmering. Stream the cornmeal into the heating liquid, stirring constantly.
2. Simmer, stirring frequently, until creamy and smooth (about 35 minutes).
3. Cool to warm and stir in the grated cheddar, the cilantro and the minced scallion.
4. Spread out on a baking sheet until ½ inch thick and cool in refrigerator.
5. When cool, scoop ¼ C balls and shape into patties. Whisk the two eggs with 3 tablespoons water to create an egg wash.
6. Bread the grits cakes by first dipping in flour, then egg, then crumbs. Repeat and reserve.
1. Sauté the corn, fresno, and the shallot in butter
2. Add 1 cup picked oxtail and ½ cup reserved braising liquid. Simmer.
3. Add the remaining butter
To complete the dish:
1. Heat 4 tablespoons cooking oil in a large sauté. Add the shrimp and cook for two minutes. Flip and cook one and a half minutes longer.
2. In a separate pan heat 3 tablespoons butter and sauté the grits cakes until golden brown and crispy.
To plate the dish:
1. Spoon some of the oxtail gravy in a few mounds on a warmed plate.
2. Place the grits cake among the piles of oxtail. Place the shrimp both on top of the grits cake and around the plate.
3. Garnish with micro cilantro. Serve immediately.