Phoenix couple, pets escape home during garage fire
By FOX 10 News Staff
A family is safe after their garage caught on fire and damaged four vehicles Monday morning.
A homeowner reportedly fell asleep while watching TV at a home near 7th Street and Union Hills Drive on Sunday night and woke up to a pop.
The man went to the garage to check it out, but was stopped by what he saw coming from underneath a door.
"He went to open the door, initially through the laundry room to garage, saw a glow around the door jam and smoke puffing through door jam of the laundry room door. [He] opted not to open it and grabbed his wife and two pets got out," said Phoenix Fire Capt. Tony Mure.
Mure went on to say the man's actions likely kept the fire from spreading to the house.
Malika Simpson reported hearing several pops and then looked out her front door to see flames shooting out of her neighbor's garage.
"We heard pops. I just immediately dialed 911, started yelling and trying to make sure everyone was out," said Simpson.
Five vehicles in the garage, two motorcycles, two cars and an ATV, were badly damaged by the flames.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to just the garage.
Mure says the homeowner doesn't remember if he heard the smoke detector go off.
Phoenix couple, pets escape home during garage fireMore>>