U.S. Olympian Ryan Hall drops out of New York City Marathon - KMSP-TV

U.S. Olympian Ryan Hall drops out of New York City Marathon

Posted: Updated:
The top three men finishers, Ryan Hall, left, second, Meb Keflezighi, center, first, and Abdi Abdirahman, third, pose after the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip) The top three men finishers, Ryan Hall, left, second, Meb Keflezighi, center, first, and Abdi Abdirahman, third, pose after the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The injury-prone Ryan Hall, who holds the record for the fastest marathon run by an American, has withdrawn from the ING New York City Marathon, New York Road Runners announced.

The setback delays Hall's attempt at making a comeback. The 30-year-old from California has not finished a marathon since the U.S. Olympic Trials race in January 2012. He has been dogged by injuries, and cited a hip problem as keeping him from this year's 26.2-mile race in New York.

"In my zealous efforts to have redemption in this year's ING New York City Marathon, I overstepped the first and most important rule--making it to the line healthy," Hall said in a statement released by NYRR. "A long string of very aggressive training has aggravated my hip and it has not been able to fully calm down, such that I don't think racing on it is wise."

This is the latest in a string of elite races that Hall was scheduled to run but either did not finish or withdrew from prior to race day. In August 2012, he ran about 11 miles of the Olympic Marathon in London before dropping out with a hamstring injury. He was also supposed to run the Boston Marathon and Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half-Marathon this year, but canceled.

Hall's Olympic teammate Meb Keflezighi, the 2009 NYC Marathon champion, is still slated to run the five-borough race on November 3.

Last year's marathon was canceled after Superstorm Sandy slammed the New York area.

"Redemption will have to wait," Hall said, "but it will be all the more sweet."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
  • A history classroom in the real world

    A history classroom in the real world

    Monday, September 15 2014 7:09 PM EDT2014-09-15 23:09:49 GMT
    When Denis Belliveau is teaching kids about Marco Polo, he is in his element. He makes the explorer's journey come alive by taking students on a No. 7 train ride through Queens, New York's most diverse borough. He brings history alive for his students. Along the way the students stop in neighborhoods that mirror Polo's trip. I caught up with the class in Flushing, Queens, which easily resembles China.
    When Denis Belliveau is teaching kids about Marco Polo, he is in his element. He makes the explorer's journey come alive by taking students on a No. 7 train ride through Queens, New York's most diverse borough. He brings history alive for his students. Along the way the students stop in neighborhoods that mirror Polo's trip. I caught up with the class in Flushing, Queens, which easily resembles China.
  • Etan Patz murder confession played in court

    Etan Patz murder confession played in court

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:43:37 GMT
    A judge allowed a confession tape to be played in court in connection with the case of Etan Patz, who vanished in 1979. On the tape, Pedro Hernandez described how he killed Patz. But his lawyers say Hernandez falsely confessed and doesn't understand his rights. Before Hernandez's videotaped confession was played, Patz's mother quickly left the courtroom unable to watch the video.
    A judge allowed a confession tape to be played in court in connection with the case of Etan Patz, who vanished in 1979. On the tape, Pedro Hernandez described how he killed Patz. But his lawyers say Hernandez falsely confessed and doesn't understand his rights. Before Hernandez's videotaped confession was played, Patz's mother quickly left the courtroom unable to watch the video.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices