Council rejects 30-yr. lease for Belle Isle - KMSP-TV

Council rejects 30-yr. lease for Belle Isle, approves counter offer

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

The Detroit City Council has unanimously rejected a deal between Gov. Rick Snyder and the city's emergency manager to lease the popular 985-acre Belle Island park to the state for thirty years. Council then approved a more modest 10-year lease, which they say is a better option for Detroit.
 
The council acted at a special meeting Monday. The meeting continued in the afternoon as members discussed alternative ways to save money.
 
State-appointed emergency manager Kevyn Orr has applied for federal bankruptcy protection.
 
Orr and Snyder signed a 30-year lease on Oct. 1 that would make Belle Isle a state park. The deal would save the cash-strapped city more than six million dollars each year in maintenance.
 
The state would invest $10 million-to-$20 million over three years. Each vehicle would be charged an $11 annual admission charge. 
 
Snyder withdrew a similar offer earlier this year following opposition from the council.

Fox 2's Robin Schwartz was at the meeting. She says the council approved an alternate plan, a shorter lease of 10 years, by a vote of 4 - 2. JoAnne Watson and Brenda Jones voted no. 

The council says a shorter lease is better for the people of Detroit.

The state will review the plan and has 30-days to decide. 

 

  • Robin SchwartzRobin SchwartzMore>>

  • Vandals damage historic Detroit cemetery

    Vandals damage historic Detroit cemetery

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:38 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:38:55 GMT
    Police are looking for suspects after vandals disturb the peace at a historic Detroit cemetery. Someone broke into a mausoleum and made a mess with spray paint and ashes.
    Police are looking for suspects after vandals disturb the peace at a historic Detroit cemetery. Someone broke into a mausoleum and made a mess with spray paint and ashes.
  • 33 suspects arrested with ties to Latin Counts street gang

    33 suspects arrested with ties to Latin Counts street gang

    Friday, July 25 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-07-26 00:10:22 GMT
    Right now, nearly three dozen violent criminals are off the streets. The U.S. Attorney says they have ties to the Latin Counts gang in southwest Detroit. Their arrests are part of a joint effort called Detroit One.
    Right now, nearly three dozen violent criminals are off the streets. The U.S. Attorney says they have ties to the Latin Counts gang in southwest Detroit. Their arrests are part of a joint effort called Detroit One.
  • Handmade furniture from Detroit reclaimed lumber

    Handmade furniture from Detroit reclaimed lumber

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:18 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:18:32 GMT
    A new brand of furniture is made with wood from deconstructed Detroit homes. The tables are now being sold at Gardner White Furniture stores.
    A new brand of furniture is made with wood from deconstructed Detroit homes. The tables are now being sold at Gardner White Furniture stores.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:42:51 GMT
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
  • Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:17:30 GMT
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
  • 24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:26:09 GMT
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices