Minnesota boy bites Tide detergent pod, gets poisoned - KMSP-TV

Minnesota boy bites Tide detergent pod, hospitalized for poisoning

Posted: Updated:
FARGO, N.D. (KMSP) -

A Minnesota toddler is in the hospital after biting into a Tide detergent pod.

Alexander Rohde's family says the one-year-old thought the detergent pod was a treat. The little boy from Hitterdal, Minn., across the border from North Dakota, bit into the Tide detergent and is now being treated for poisoning at a Fargo hospital.

His family says Alexander started throwing up and soon couldn't breathe. A hospital spokesperson said the boy was in critical condition, but is improving.

The Rohde family said Tide should change the look of its pod.

Tide released a statement saying it's working to educate people on keeping them out of reach of children. The company has also created a double-latch to deter children from getting to the brightly-colored detergent packets.

More than 6,700 children have been exposed to the candy-looking pods so far this year, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Toxicologists say kids have more severe symptoms than traditional detergent incidents because the small packet contains a full cup's worth of detergent.

TIDE PODS SAFETY

Storage

In addition to keeping products out of reach of children, keep products in their original container, with the label intact

After each use, close the container completely and immediately put products away in their appropriate storage location

During Use

Follow all recommended product instructions, and pay particularly close attention to all 'Caution', 'Warning', 'Danger', or 'Poison' statements

To prevent pacs from dissolving before use, you should always close the package and handle with dry hands

Clean up immediately after any spills that may occur

Be sure to wash your hands after doing laundry, as well as any utensils you use to dispense or measure products

Aim to take care of laundry and other cleaning chores during your child's downtime (such as naptime), to help ensure your attention is not diverted while using laundry and cleaning products to help avoid unintended exposure

Disposal

Follow the recommended product disposal information that is indicated on the label

Never use empty detergent containers for storage of any other materials, especially for anything intended for human consumption

If an Incident Occurs

Unintended exposure with laundry products usually causes no serious medical effects.

If in eye(s), rinse immediately with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice, as needed.

If on skin or clothing, remove contaminated clothing and rinse skin well with water.

If swallowed, drink a glass of water or milk and contact the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting.

Following these steps will help to keep your home as safe as possible. Know what to do before unintended exposure happens. Read product safety Information provided on the package.

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices