E-cigarettes are gaining popularity by the day, but there are still a lot we don't know about the unregulated product.
Just ask Renae Leslie, who said her husband's e-cig recently exploded while charging.
"I heard this explosion, jumped up and screamed," Leslie said. "It was unreal to think it was in my house doing this."
The e-cig, plugged into the computer, started sparking like a fountain firework. Seconds later, Renae said it "shot out like a missile" from the computer.
The e-cigarette landed on the carpet burning several spots.
"This is something that is supposed to be safe and is not," Leslie said. "It turned into a firework."
Mike Swafford bought E-Cig Clubhouse in Ham Lake, Minn. six months ago.
"I hear about it two or three times a week," Swafford said. "There's a lot of inferior products out there."
As far as he knows, Swafford has never sold a faulty e-cig. He said the problem with Chris Leslie's e-cig comes from the battery, which doesn't have overcharge protection.
"They are getting charged and overcharging and the batteries are getting hot and shooting across rooms and starting on fire," Swafford said.
When buying an e-cig, Swafford said overcharge protection is key. You should also make sure the battery is not a fake.
"The real eGo-T battery is made by Joytech and they are the ones with an emblem on the bottom," he said.
Chris Leslie has since purchased a new e-cig, but said he still has concerns.
"I'm always going to be thinking about it and wondering if it's going to happen," Leslie said.
KMSP-TV11358 Viking DriveEden Prairie, MN 55344
Phone: (952) 944-9999Fax: (952) 942-0455