Mosquito-borne virus found in horse near Savannah - KMSP-TV

Mosquito-borne virus found in horse near Savannah

Posted: Updated:

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - Health officials say a deadly mosquito-borne virus has been detected in a horse near Savannah.

The Chatham County Health Department says the horse tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which causes swelling of the brain and is fatal to horses in 70 to 90 percent of cases.

Health officials in say no human cases have been reported and it's rare for people to get infected. But they say the horse infection is a reminder that mosquitoes can remain active in coastal Georgia during fall months.

The health department says horse owners should vaccinate their animals and coastal residents should continue to empty standing water from outdoor containers every few days to reduce breeding by mosquitoes.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices