Child dies after eating laundry packet - KMSP-TV

Child dies after eating laundry packet

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

An infant in central Florida died last week after accidentally eating a packet of concentrated laundry detergent, the state's Department of Children and Families said.

The death of the 7-month-old boy is believed to be the first associated with single-dose liquid detergent packets, which have been involved in a rash of unintentional ingestion by babies and toddlers since becoming widely available in the U.S. early last year. It heightens the stakes as consumer-products companies such as Procter & Gamble Co. try to stop the problem by modifying their packaging and warning consumers.

The brand of detergent in the Florida case was All Mighty Pacs Free & Clear, made by Sun Products Corp., people familiar with the matter said. The detergent packets were colorless.

Kathryn Corbally, Sun Products' director of corporate affairs, said the company hadn't been notified directly by authorities but had heard that its product was involved. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the child who died," Ms. Corbally said. She said the company takes safety seriously.

Since the start of this year, poison-control centers across the country have reported 5,753 cases of children 5 years old and under being accidentally exposed to single-dose detergent packets made by companies including P&G, Henkel AG and others. That was close to the 6,231 cases reported for all of last year.

Some poison-center directors have cited the laundry packets' resemblance to candy as a factor in some accidents. In many cases, parents or caregivers left the detergent packets within reach of their children, who swallowed the detergent or got it in their eyes when thin films encasing the highly concentrated liquid burst.

Some of the injuries have been serious, causing symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, breathing difficulties and corneal abrasions. Some children had to be hospitalized for days and intubated to help them breathe. Until the Florida incident, however, none was known to have died.

The Florida incident was reported earlier by the Orlando Sentinel. It involved a baby boy and his mother, who were staying in a shelter for battered women, according to the article. The mother had placed detergent packets inside a laundry basket on a bed, stepped away and when she returned, found her son eating the detergent, the newspaper reported.

  • Your MoneyMore>>

  • Heartbleed: Android devices may be vulnerable

    Heartbleed: Android devices may be vulnerable

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-04-16 02:14:46 GMT
    If you've heard about the Heartbleed bug, maybe you've already changed all your passwords and online security information. But Android users may still be at risk. Lance Ulanoff, senior editor of the online tech site Mashable, explains: "For the most part, Heartbleed has really been about the services that you access, and not local devices so the encryption on the device may have the same vulnerability."
    If you've heard about the Heartbleed bug, maybe you've already changed all your passwords and online security information. But Android users may still be at risk. Lance Ulanoff, senior editor of the online tech site Mashable, explains: "For the most part, Heartbleed has really been about the services that you access, and not local devices so the encryption on the device may have the same vulnerability."
  • Connecticut casinos post March slot revenue drop

    Connecticut casinos post March slot revenue drop

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:34 PM EDT2014-04-16 01:34:00 GMT
    Connecticut's Indian-run casinos say slot machine revenue fell sharply in March, with Foxwoods Resort Casino citing an "ultra-competitive" market. Foxwoods reported Tuesday that the share of wagers, known as revenue, was $44.6 million, down 10 percent from March 2013. Total slot machine wagering at the Mashantucket Pequot tribal casino was $566 million, down 5 percent.
    Connecticut's Indian-run casinos say slot machine revenue fell sharply in March, with Foxwoods Resort Casino citing an "ultra-competitive" market. Foxwoods reported Tuesday that the share of wagers, known as revenue, was $44.6 million, down 10 percent from March 2013. Total slot machine wagering at the Mashantucket Pequot tribal casino was $566 million, down 5 percent.
  • Heartbleed: what websites are affected and what you should do now

    Heartbleed: what websites are affected and what you should do now

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:16 PM EDT2014-04-16 01:16:42 GMT
    The Heartbleed bug is no joke. Websites, social networks, services, networking equipment, and web-enabled hardware may all be vulnerable. Here are some steps to take right now: Use the LastPass Heartbleed checker to see if websites you use are vulnerable and/or if they have installed security patches. Check the website of the company that made your home router in case it has been compromised. Make sure to download any software updates and security patches. Change your passwords.
    The Heartbleed security flaw is no joke. Websites, social networks, services, networking equipment, and web-enabled hardware may all be vulnerable. Here are some steps to take right now: Use the LastPass Heartbleed checker to see if websites you use are vulnerable and/or if they have installed security patches. Check the website of the company that made your home router in case it has been compromised. Make sure to download any software updates and security patches. Change your passwords.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices