How to: handle gas leaks - KMSP-TV

How to: handle gas leaks

Posted: Updated:
(WJBK) -

The gas we use to cook with, heat our homes and even warm our water is nothing to be afraid of, but it is necessary to be aware of the dangers it can present if there's a leak or if the piping that carry's the gas is worn or damaged. Here are some danger signs to watch for that indicate you may have a natural or propane gas leak.

  • If you smell a rotten egg or sulfur type smell coming from inside or outside your home.
  • A blowing or hissing sound that may be coming from a busted or damaged pipe.
  • Dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground
  • Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area outside your home
  • Flames, if a leak has ignited.

If the gas has ignited, let it burn. Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode.

If you do detect a gas smell in your home, immediately open some available windows in the house and get out. Easy as that.

Do not turn off lights… don't use anything electrical or even the telephone. They could spark and ignite the gas. Make a call from a neighbor's home and report it immediately to your local gas company.

Natural or propane gas is perfectly safe and has been giving us countless years of comfort and a higher quality of living. Keep an eye peeled for the warning signs of a gas leak so that you can continue to have a safe and healthy home.

Learn more about gas leaks and how to prevent them at www.mechanicalheating.com

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices