Wayne Co. commissioner wants jail contractor held accountable - KMSP-TV

Wayne Co. commissioner wants jail contractor held accountable

Posted: Updated:
Wayne County Commissioner Ilona Varga Wayne County Commissioner Ilona Varga
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Bob Ficano was supposed to present options to the Wayne County Commission about the unfinished jail Wednesday, but that meeting was unexpectedly canceled.

Rumors of behind-the-scene deals abound, the details of which will soon emerge. However, one county commissioner said the solution to this is quite simple.

"I know what I want to do. I want to hold the contractor accountable and sue him if we have to or sue everybody involved and get it going again," said Ilona Varga.

She is not giving up on the unfinished jail project. She said the contractor, Walbridge, made a promise to commissioners, and she wants it kept.

"He sat in front of us and said I can do this for this," Varga explained. "He said he would eat it if he came over budget. I believed him."

Now taxpayers are on the hook for it. The project went $100 million over budget before Ficano pulled the plug on construction last month.

Delaying the meeting with commissioners will give Ficano's administration more time to vet proposals for the jail site. You have heard about a few of the options. They include a soccer stadium, condos and shopping centers, but sources said there are more proposals on the table. It's possible negotiations are taking place now.

Even so, Varga is not on board with any of the proposals she has heard so far.

"If they can't give us exactly what we have put into it, then it's not a good deal for the county. I don't care what the project is," the commissioner said.

As for taking legal action against the contractor, a Wayne County spokeswoman said it's too early to talk about suing anyone.

The Wayne County Commission will meet next Wednesday to hear Ficano's pitch on what to do with the jail project.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
  • Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Dollar Tree buys Family Dollar

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:34 AM EDT2014-07-28 11:34:12 GMT
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
    Dollar Tree is buying rival discount store Family Dollar in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $8.5 billion.
  • Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Storm damage in Oakland and Macomb counties

    Monday, July 28 2014 6:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 10:27:31 GMT
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
    Damage was reported across Metro Detroit Sunday after severe storms moved across our area. About 200,000 customers lost power in the hail, heavy rain, strong winds, localized flooding and thunder and lightning.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices