Minnesota state troopers, deputies and local police cited 17,415 drivers for speeding during a July 6-21 crackdown, including a 148 mph speeding ticket issued near Mankato, Minn.
At least 12 drivers were stopped for speeding more than 100 mph during the two-week enforcement campaign.
TOP 5 SPEEDERS: JULY 2013
- 148 mph, Minnesota State Patrol (Mankato District)
- 114 mph, Minnesota State Patrol (Marshall District)
- 111 mph, Minnesota State Patrol (West Metro District)
- 110 mph, Carver County Sheriff
- 105 mph, Minnesota State Patrol (Rochester District, Detroit Lakes District)
An average speeding ticket for 10 mph over the limit is typically more than $120. Drivers stopped at 20 mph over the speed limit face double the fine, and those ticketed for more than 100 mph can lose their license for six months.
Speeding is a factor in about 80 traffic deaths each year in Minnesota.