Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass - KMSP-TV

Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass

Posted: Updated:
Jeff Johnson Jeff Johnson
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson was mowing his lawn on Euclid in Detroit near Linwood and Dexter. He was wearing a Star of David necklace that was a gift from his wife.

"I got this for him for Hanukkah probably about seven years ago, and he's wore it ever since," Shoshanah Johnson said.

His wife paid $2,500 for the necklace.

"It's a very nice chain, an Italian chain, actually it came straight from Italy. I had it made for my husband. 18 karat gold," she said.

As Jeff was mowing at 4:30 p.m. on a Saturday, video shows two guys walking up. One of them stole his necklace.

"Two gentlemen ran by me and snatched my necklace off my neck while I'm pushing the mower," he said. "They were both wearing baseball caps, and I chased after them in the truck."

"Detroit Police responded about 25 minutes later."

Jeff said the guys split up and ran off in different directions. He lost them.

We first met the Johnson family a month ago. They were trying to find out who owned the vacant and crumbling house next door. Since our story aired, Jeff said he has been contacted by the city and he believes progress is in place to have the house demolished.

Jeff moved his family here from Miami seven months ago in large part to experience what he sees as a rebirth of Detroit.

"Hopefully that man knows what he did was wrong. I'm not trying to accept that, but I have to come up with something in my mind to where I just don't lose all hope, and it's not easy. I've never been robbed in my front yard," he said.

"We're here to stay. Detroit is going to come back. We're going to build up, and we're going to do good," Shoshanah said. "Just like the new police commissioner says, those little punks that do these crimes, they're getting out of here. They're going to be gone. I believe that."

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Jury acquits man in Eastern Michigan football player death

Monday, July 28 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:32:20 GMT
    A jury has acquitted a man in the robbery-slaying of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed.

Dearborn man charged with torture, murder of sister

Monday, July 28 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:10:00 GMT
    A Dearborn woman is dead and her own brother is behind bars charged with her murder.What happened in the 7500 block of Bingham street Saturday, still has neighbors wondering, 'why.'"I wept, I cried, it's horrible," said neighbor Virginia Leonard.A brother allegedly strangled his own sister, stabbed her several times, and eventually killing her"I'm sure it's a very horrible thing for that family," Leonard said. "Not only did the parents lose a daughter, they lost basically a son too, and it's ...

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Sunday's storm captured by Fox 2 viewers

Sunday, July 27 2014 11:48 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:48:38 GMT
    We have more video of the storm and storm damage from across southeast Michigan. It's Fox 2 viewer pics and video that you sent to us.

Livonia man dies after 2 dogs attack him

Saturday, July 26 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-07-27 01:48:03 GMT
    A 46-year-old Livonia man was killed Wednesday evening after he was attacked by two dogs while jogging in Metamora.

FBI joins the search for Armada teen's killer

Friday, July 25 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:08:38 GMT
    The FBI has joined the investigation team searching for the killer of a 14-year-old Armada girl, April Millsap. Authorities also say they are now looking for a small motorcycle in addition to the gray, dented van seen in the area.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices