Diaz-Castillo pleads guilty in baby kidnapping, AMBER Alert - KMSP-TV

Woman pleads guilty in baby kidnapping, AMBER Alert

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -

A Minneapolis woman has pleaded guilty to kidnapping a friend's baby in February, a disappearance that triggered an Amber Alert.

The Hennepin County attorney's office says 30-year-old Isabel Diaz-Castillo pleaded guilty last week.

Diaz-Castillo is expected to receive a 3-year sentence on Aug. 19. After serving her sentence, she is expected to be deported.

According to the complaint, Diaz-Castillo had befriended the boy's mother after meeting her at a Laundromat about a month earlier and had taken "an extreme interest" in her 8-month-old son.

The boy's mother told police she had left her son secured in a car seat on the couch in her south Minneapolis apartment. When she came out of the shower, her baby was gone.

When police found Diaz-Castillo in the basement of her brother's house, she refused to hand over the child, saying "That's my baby."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices