A man was found dead among excessive personal belongings in a house fire early Tuesday morning in St. Paul.
St. Paul firefighters located the man, likely in his 40s, near the front door at 2:15 a.m. as personal items blocked access points to the home near the 1400 block of Hamline Avenue.
St. Paul Fire Chief Tim Butler said the basement fire spread throughout the home -- the man's personal items scattered all over the home were still smoldering as of 7:00 a.m. As crews clear the mess, Butler said there are structural concerns -- the first floor could collapse due to the weight of the man's numerous items crowding the home from floor to ceiling.
Crews had to cut a hole on one side of the home as most doors and windows were loaded with stuff, primarily newspapers, books and magazines.
The man's identity has not been released. His neighbors said he lived alone.
HOARDING HELP: Task force to help Minnesotans with hoarding disorderRead more: http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/21058590/minnesota-hoarding-task-force
KMSP-TV11358 Viking DriveEden Prairie, MN 55344
Phone: (952) 944-9999Fax: (952) 942-0455