Minneapolis police have issued a crime alert following two stranger rapes in the 5th Precinct this past week. Both assaults occurred in public spaces around 2 a.m., and in both cases the victim was walking alone.
Suspect descriptions were limited.
JUNE 24, 2:20 A.M.
FRANKLIN AVE. W AND LYNDALE AVE S.
Victim was walking down an alley when the suspect approached her, attempted small talk, then dragged her to a grassy area and sexually assaulted her. The victim reported that the suspect had a gun and threatened to kill her.
JUNE 26TH, 2:07 A.M.
2800 BLOCK OF STEVENS AVE. S.
Victim was walking home alone through the park when she heard someone attempting to get her attention. She attempted to ignore the suspect but she was grabbed and dragged to an area where she was sexually assaulted.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Avoid walking alone at night, particularly in isolated or dark areas
- Limit alcohol consumption while out
- If you arrive as a group, leave as a group; don't leave someone behind
- Ensure everyone is able to get home safely before splitting up
- Trust your instincts and stay alert to your surroundings
- Carry your car or house keys in your hand when outside
- If you hear unexpected or suspicious activity outside, look and see if someone needs help or needs you to call 911 for them