Compost sparks fire that destroys home - KMSP-TV

Compost sparks fire that destroys home

Posted: Updated:

TUPPER LAKE, N.Y. (AP) — Firefighters in Tupper Lake say a compost pile near a deck spontaneously caught fire over the weekend, destroying a house.

Franklin County Fire Investigator John Bashaw tells the Adirondack Daily Enterprise the fire erupted Saturday morning.

Compost piles break down organic material such as grass clippings, leaves and vegetable matter to make garden fertilizer and mulch. Heat is generated by the decomposition process.

Bashaw says the material can ignite when it reaches a certain temperature and he recommends keeping the pile away from structures.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • New York gives tuition break to veterans

    New York gives tuition break to veterans

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:44 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:44:17 GMT
    Education NewsEducation News
    New York is encouraging veterans to go back to school and making it easier for the families of service members who relocate to the state. A new state law signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday will give veterans in-state tuition rates at state colleges and universities even if they wouldn't otherwise qualify.
    New York is encouraging veterans to go back to school and making it easier for the families of service members who relocate to the state. A new state law signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday will give veterans in-state tuition rates at state colleges and universities even if they wouldn't otherwise qualify.
  • Thrift shops warned about drawstring kids' clothes

    Thrift shops warned about drawstring kids' clothes

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-08-19 12:06:38 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    New York's attorney general has told 46 thrift shops to stop selling children's garments with drawstrings, clothing prohibited in New York since 2003. The letters follow a survey showing many thrift shops continued selling clothes considered a safety hazard because drawstrings can snag on cribs playground equipment and vehicle doors.
    New York's attorney general has told 46 thrift shops to stop selling children's garments with drawstrings, clothing prohibited in New York since 2003. The letters follow a survey showing many thrift shops continued selling clothes considered a safety hazard because drawstrings can snag on cribs playground equipment and vehicle doors.

  • Robbery at Westchester mall

    Robbery at Westchester mall

    Monday, August 18 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-08-18 09:50:19 GMT
    A brazen robbery at one of the tri-state area's ritziest malls took place in front of dozens of shocked shoppers on Sunday. It all happened at The Westchester in White Plains. Three men entered the store, broke the cases with hammers, and grabbed luxury timepieces before running from an armed security guard.
    A brazen robbery at one of the tri-state area's ritziest malls took place in front of dozens of shocked shoppers on Sunday. It all happened at The Westchester in White Plains. Three men entered the store, broke the cases with hammers, and grabbed luxury timepieces before running from an armed security guard.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices