Quinn speaks about recent rape in Brooklyn - KMSP-TV

Quinn speaks about recent rape in Brooklyn

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Council Speaker and mayoral candidate Christine Quinn spoke about the sexual assault of a woman in Brooklyn last week, which may have been a bias attack based on the victim's sexual orientation.

Police say the victim was walking on Java Street between Manhattan Avenue and McGuiness Boulevard in the Greenpoint section when she was approached by the suspect who attempted to strike up a conversation with just after midnight Sunday.   

The suspect, armed with a knife, pulled her down onto the sidewalk and sexually assaulted the 26-year-old victim. According to published reports, the suspect told her it was because of her sexual orientation.

The woman was taken to Woodhull Hospital in stable condition.

Quinn along with Council member Stephen Levin issued a joint statement:

"Sunday's vicious sexual assault of a young woman in Greenpoint, Brooklyn is disturbing news in the safest big City in the world. We are deeply troubled by reports that the survivor of this attack may have been targeted because of her sexual orientation. New York City's greatest strength is our diversity, but in recent months, there has been an unacceptable increase in hate crimes."

Police say the suspect is a male White, or Hispanic, 25-35 years old, 5'9" tall with a medium build and dark hair. He was wearing a black tee short with an unknown design on the front, blue jeans and was carrying a knapsack.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477).

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:09 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:09:38 GMT
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
  • Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:57:48 GMT
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads in part:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices