Parents of Ariel Russo face teenager in court - KMSP-TV

Parents of Ariel Russo face teenager in court

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Sofia Russo wants Franklin Reyes, 17, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The teenager was in court Wednesday. It was the first time Sofia and her husband, Allen, have come face to face with the Reyes, who is charged with killing their 4-year-old daughter, Ariel, two weeks ago.

In court Reyes dropped his head and cried. He is accused of driving without a license, then fleeing police, jumping a curb, and hitting Ariel and her grandmother as they were walking to school. The grandmother suffered a broken back and leg.

Sofia and her family are also fighting the city. They've filed a $40 million lawsuit against the fire and police departments.

When the 911 call came into the city's new emergency dispatch system, the EMS worker who should've seen the call on her computer had gotten up to go on break and missed the call, according to Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano. He said that mistake caused a delay of just over 4 minutes in dispatching an ambulance to the scene.

The EMS worker is denying the call appeared on her screen before she logged off. Her union blames technical glitches in the new 911 system for the missed call.

The Russo family has asked the Manhattan district attorney to launch a criminal investigation.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices