Police in Bloomington, Minn. are trying to determine whether an open container of gasoline caused a woman's death in a car fire Wednesday morning.
Witnesses reported hearing what sounded like explosions as the SUV burst into flames at the intersection of Old Cedar Road and 86th Street around 8:14 a.m.
Investigators told FOX 9 the driver had two gallons of uncapped gasoline in the front seat, but they can't confirm what sparked the flames.
Bloomington Police Cmdr. Mark Stehlik said a number of things could ignite gas fumes, including static electricity. Investigators confirmed the driver was a smoker, but that also cannot be pinned as a cause of the fire.
The bomb squad was called in to investigate the reported explosions, but found nothing explosive aside from the open gas container. Cmdr. Stehlik said the sounds heard by witnesses were likely airbags or other car parts.
The victim's name is not being released at this time.
The safest place to transport a gas can is in the trunk of your car. Making sure the cap is tight so no fumes can escape is an important extra precaution.