Brooklyn Cyclones' ballpark ready for baseball after storm repai - KMSP-TV

Superstorm Sandy

Brooklyn Cyclones' ballpark ready for baseball after storm repairs

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Cyclones Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Cyclones
Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Cyclones Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Cyclones
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

MCU Park, the Coney Island home of the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball team, has undergone extensive repairs and renovations after suffering significant damage in Superstorm Sandy.

"Like so many of our fans and neighbors, we felt the wrath of the storm," Cyclones General Manger Steve Cohen said in a statement. "We realize that while we are ready to return to business as usual, there is still a lot of work to be done both here on Coney Island and in other communities throughout the area.

Renovations to the front office, locker rooms, ticket office, catering areas and dugouts are complete.

Buy the biggest project was a complete redo of the field, which was damaged and contaminated by the storm surge. The field is now made of a synthetic surface, except for the pitcher's mound and home plate area.

"The added durability of the playing surface allows us to use the ballpark almost year-round," Cohen said. "We can now host soccer, football, lacrosse, concerts, corporate outings and more in addition to the youth, high school and college baseball games that we typically schedule."

Opening Day for the Cyclones, a Minor League affiliate of the Mets, is June 18. The team will take on their cross-harbor rivals, the Staten Island Yankees. A special pre-game ceremony will honor storm victims.

"We are excited to get back on our feet and embrace the opportunity to continue helping our friends, fans and neighbors in their recovery efforts," Cohen said.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:57:48 GMT
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads in part:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
  • Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-04-17 10:57:01 GMT
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices