Man tries to pay part of impound fee with $70 in quarters - KMSP-TV

Man tries to pay part of impound fee with $70 in quarters

Posted: Updated:
Troy Boomer, Junior said Fraser Police wouldn't accept $70 in quarters when he first tried to pay his impound fee. Troy Boomer, Junior said Fraser Police wouldn't accept $70 in quarters when he first tried to pay his impound fee.
FRASER, Mich. (WJBK) -

Seven ten dollar bills or 280 quarters, either way it all adds up to $70.  So why would police refuse a man's payment?

"I was supposed to be arrested," said Troy Boomer, Junior.

The 25-year-old was in his 1997 Pontiac Grand Am when he said he went through a construction zone way too fast in Fraser.

"I was speeding in a construction zone, and I didn't have proof of insurance," he said.  "My license was suspended in Michigan."

He was cited for no valid license, speeding, a cracked windshield, no proof of insurance and failure to register his new Michigan address with the Secretary of State.  Boomer was slapped with five tickets on that stop.

"Basically he said I was supposed to go to jail, and I didn't," Boomer explained.  "He impounded my car and gave me five tickets."

Boomer had his bike in the trunk, so he peddled to his Fraser home.  He needed $170 to get his car out of impound.  He had $100 in cash, so Boomer pulled his backup pitcher of quarters held for savings and took $70 worth of quarters to the police department to get his car back.

"They wanted $70, and I quote, they guy said, '$70 exact change.  We can make change here.'  And I said, 'Good because I brought change.'  And I set it down.  And he said, 'We can't take that,'" Boomer said.

He shot video in the lobby when he took his pitcher of quarters to the front desk.

"You need to turn it into currency," Boomer was told.

"That is currency," he remarked.

"Bills," was the response.

"You will not take that, correct?" Boomer asked.

"We will take bills only," he was told.

I talked with Fraser Police.  They told me the dispatcher greets the public and takes 911 calls for police, fire and EMS in Fraser and simply does not have the time to count out $70 in change.

So Boomer left and came back with 70 singles.

"I actually took my mom's money, and I went to the bank and got $70 in $1 bills and gave it to him and watched him staple that to a piece of paper," Boomer said.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Worker rescued from trench collapse in Pittsfield Township

Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:51 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:51:01 GMT
    Emergency crews are at the scene of an apparent trench collapse in Pittsfield Township.

Two in custody after search connected to Armada teen's murder

Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:24 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:24:06 GMT
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.

How honest are we, Detroit?

Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:45 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:45:12 GMT
    A national social experiment took place in Detroit Wednesday and the results will show just how honest we really are.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Sunday's storm captured by Fox 2 viewers

Sunday, July 27 2014 11:48 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:48:38 GMT
    We have more video of the storm and storm damage from across southeast Michigan. It's Fox 2 viewer pics and video that you sent to us.

Livonia man dies after 2 dogs attack him

Saturday, July 26 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-07-27 01:48:03 GMT
    A 46-year-old Livonia man was killed Wednesday evening after he was attacked by two dogs while jogging in Metamora.

FBI joins the search for Armada teen's killer

Friday, July 25 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:08:38 GMT
    The FBI has joined the investigation team searching for the killer of a 14-year-old Armada girl, April Millsap. Authorities also say they are now looking for a small motorcycle in addition to the gray, dented van seen in the area.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices