Official: 6-year-old boy shot in head dies - KMSP-TV

Official: 6-year-old NJ boy shot in head dies

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

A 6-year-old New Jersey boy who was shot in the head by a 4-year-old neighbor has died, according to the Ocean County, N.J., Prosecutor's Office.

Earlier, Toms River Police Sgt. Robert Rankin said authorities are still investigating how the younger child obtained the .22-caliber rifle from his family's home.

Authorities say the children were outside the 4-year-old's home Monday evening. The boy went inside, got the rifle and shot the 6-year-old from about 15 yards away. The victim was on a go-kart when he was shot.

The two boys were playing "pretend shooting" outside a McCormick Drive home when one of them went inside and got the gun, according to nj.com.

The 6-year-old victim was flown to Jersey Shore Medical Center for treatment but died in the evening.

Daniel Watkins, the shooting victim's uncle spoke to reporters on Tuesday morning.

Watkins said: "They are friends. They play together." He said the bullet went into the boy's head and that the family is simply trying to deal with the situation right now.

The parents of the 4-year-old were home at the time of the incident.

Authorities are still trying to decide whether to charge anyone in connection with the incident.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

KMSP-TV
11358 Viking Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: (952) 944-9999
Fax: (952) 942-0455

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices