Hundreds of people turned out to show support for those with autism by donning blue streaks in their tresses as part of the Highlight it Blue for Autism event held at Tera Photography in Burnsville, Minn., on Sunday.
April is Autism Awareness Month, and volunteer stylists from Salon Onyx in Lakeville, Minn., donated their time to add blue hair extensions as a nod to those efforts.
Photographs of each participant were taken to be used on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to help spread awareness beyond the event itself -- and the first 250 attendees took home freebie-filled swag bags.
All proceeds will go to a local non-profit, United For Autism, which helps local families, hosts autism-friendly events and offers scholarships.
Over 150 people came to last year's event launch and raised over $2,500 for United for Autism. This year looks to double those numbers.
- Highlight it Blue on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HighlightItBlue
- United for Autism: http://www.united-for-autism.org/
- The Garden at River Ridge: http://thegardenatriverridge.org/
- Salon Onyx: http://www.salononyx.com/
- Tera Photography: http://www.teraphotography.com/