Concerns over carbon monoxide caused a YMCA day care in DeKalb County to close on Wednesday.Kristen Oberanec, the spokesperson for the YMCA of metro Atlanta, said that an alarm was sounding at the location on Snapfinger Road when staff arrived at work on Wednesday morning.She said that firefighters entered the building wearing oxygen masks. No staff, parents or children were allowed in all day, Oberanec said. Concerned parent Brittney Vaughn, whose daughter Maya attends the day care, says she was never told about the dangerous leak. "Our children's safety is in their hands. I feel like every parent should have been notified," Vaughn said.Oberanec said that leak occurred early in the morning and "we did not have a system to notify parents that early."She says the daycare is reviewing its notification procedures to better inform parents, but the daycare safety plan did what it was supposed to do."I think the biggest part of our safety plan is prevention and early detection and that's exactly what happened here," Oberanec said. The facility was cleared to reopen after the fire department inspected the source of the leak and determined it was safe.
KMSP-TV11358 Viking DriveEden Prairie, MN 55344
Phone: (952) 944-9999Fax: (952) 942-0455