While teachers and students at a New Prague, Minn. middle school discuss Wednesday's prank call about a shooting, Minnesota lawmakers are considering a bill that would make it a misdemeanor to call 911 when there's no emergency.
A juvenile detention hearing could come as early as Thursday for the 12-year-old boy accused making two prank calls to 911. The caller was a New Prague middle school student, who reported a shooter at the school with two people injured.
The child's attorney says the student is still in custody for now and that a hearing in juvenile detention is expected by the end of the week. In the meantime, students at New Prague Middle School returned to class Thursday with counselors and social workers available to help.
The prank calls were allegedly made from a deactivated cell phone -- a phone that you can only use to call 911. It's unclear why the boy made the calls, but it brought hundreds of police and emergency personnel to the school district's buildings.
The students and teachers who were kept in their classrooms while police searched room to room were understandably scared.
"We were in choir at the time and went into the backroom and locked the doors and our choir teacher was crying," said Gillian Duncan. "Everybody was talking because they thought it was a drill but then the sheriff and police showed up and everybody figured it was real and it was real scary."
The boy's family wants everyone to know there was never a gun and that it is safe to return to school.
As attorneys and investigators work through this case, Minnesota lawmakers are considering a bill introduced earlier this month that would make it a misdemeanor to call 911 when there's no real emergency. It would be a gross misdemeanor if the 911 call was intended to lure police somewhere, and the charge could become a felony if the call results in serious injury.