Posted by: Pablo Pereira, Meteorologist / Reporter - bio | email
INDIO, Calif. (AP) - Jurors have recommended the death penalty for
two men who bound and drove a man to the Southern California desert and
Riverside County prosecutors said in a statement
Thursday that two separate juries recommended death for 35-year-old
Daniel Cervantes and 34-year-old Carlos Contreras for the 2008 murder of
The same juries convicted the men last month of
first-degree murder with the special circumstance of murder during a
robbery, making them eligible for the death penalty. A judge will
formally sentence them April 24.
Prosecutors said the men approached Kuzawa outside
his Indio home, bound him and drove him to the desert near Thermal in
his own truck.
They shot him in the head and chest and left him bound, shoeless and bleeding, and burned the truck.